The group BIOSUV is composed by several researchers of the University of Vigo, belonging to the Chemical Engineering area of knowledge with different backgrounds and complementary profiles. These members of the group collaborate as result of a common interest in the development of new technologies of application to diverse industrial sectors, including the design, optimization and innovation in Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Processes.
The group is an important contributor to the areas of Environmental technologies, Biotechnology and Green chemistry through the advances we make in research, technology and innovation and through the training of MScs and PhDs. The research of our team focuses on three main lines:
- Bioremediation: Development of biotechnological processes for industrial wastewater treatments (textile, tanneries, forestry, etc.).
- Adsorption: Development of clean, highly selective and low cost technology for the removal of both organic and inorganic pollutants including the preparation and characterization of new adsorbent solids (biochar) from agroindustrial wastes.
- Advanced Oxidation Processes: Application of chemical oxidation, electrochemical and photochemical technologies for the treatment of effluents and soil polluted with heavy metals and organic compounds.
- New catalyst and electrodes: preparation of new catalysts based on synthesis of metallic and bimetallic nanoparticles catalysts, immobilisation over electrode surface and 3D-printing based technologies.
- Valorisation of lignin: Application of enzymatic treatment to obtain product of interest as fungicide, adhesive for wood panels or adsorbent from paper pulp wastes.
- Enzymatic technologies: Production, immobilization and application of enzymes.
- Biorefinery: production and purification of high value-compounds from fungi and algae.
- Aqueous Biphasic Systems (ABS): development of new extraction alternatives for the separation of a wide range of compounds with industrial interest (bio-based products,…).
- Ionic Liquids: design of ionic liquid depending on the application to perform